How To: Vehicle Lettering
I was interested in lettering my Jeep. I asked a friend about how to do it professionally and this is what he told me.
- get a misting bottle and mix 1 tablespoon of dish soap per liter of water in it.
- clean the side of the vehicle where you wish to apply the lettering, with 100% alcohol.
- measure and determine the position of your lettering or stripe. Ensure that you can duplicate the same measurements on the other side.
- Mask along the top of the stripe or location where the lettering will be placed, with masking tape, ensuring that you have a level horizontal straight edge with the lower edge of the masking tape.
- From the bottom, butt the reflective tape or lettering up to the lower edge of the masking tape. Ensure that you keep the backing on so it does not stick.
- Use masking tape along the top of the reflective tape or lettering, to connect it to the masking tape on the vehicle. This will create a hinge.
- Flip the stripe or lettering upwards to expose the back, and lightly mist the vehicle (paint) with yoru water / soap mixture.
- Remove the protective backing from the reflective vinyl and lightly spray the sticky side of the vinyl as well.
- Flip the vinyl down, and use a squegee to smooth the vinyl out against the vehicle and ensure there are no air pockets.
- Allow it to dry, and then carefully remove the masking tape.
- Any water left behind the tape should evaporate, and the tape should stick well.